A Pilgrim's Journey: An Introduction

We were asked several times by our pilgrim guide our reason for having wanting a pilgrimage and each time it was asked, I had to purify my intentions.



You see, “I” had everything smoothed out as early as May. I had my reservations for a 10-day Christmas Pilgrimage at The Pilgrim's Center with Fr. Arnie Boehme and have informed my colleague that I will be out of office by December 18. I wanted to be with my family by December 28 and spend time with my sister who flew from Japan. I have asked several friends and a cousin to join me so I need not worry about a roommate… Little did I know that God has His own plans for me.

The first strike, I was asked if I agree to join the 11-day Christmas Pilgrimage with Fr. Francis Lucas instead (that leaves only a half-day with Tin) because we were short of pilgrims on the 18th. I acquiesced without questions. My mind was set not to postpone Israel.

The second strike, the mobile phone I wrote on my form was incorrect and I played things by email because Jean could not contact me.

The third strike, the orientation was on the 12th of December, Thursday is a workday but I had a perfect reason to be there. I left the house late and prayed I would get to the Pilgrim’s Center by 2 pm. And I was surprised that I made it on time.



The fourth strike, while I asked Jean if there will be a time for confession during the pilgrimage, we were encouraged to have it before we left on the 20th. I prayed that the Lord will allow that I confess.

The fifth strike, on the day of the departure on the 20th, I was surprised but pleased that two priests were in the Viber group Jean created. We were informed later on that Fr. Lucas was hospitalized and was replaced by Fr. Arnie.

The sixth strike, it was already 4 pm on the 20th and no Grab taxi nor car was willing to take me to the NAIA Terminal 3. Jean was not at the airport at the agreed time to meet us.  

The seventh strike, my roommate whom I already knew by email from Jean and whom I have already met and established rapport with during the Orientation was denied entry by Israel.

Looking back, it took me seven strikes to recognize that it was the Lord who invited me there, it was not my initiative. He created that desire in me to come and be with Him at Christmas.

The postponement of two days was necessary so I can be with the group the Lord wanted me to be with.



The incorrect information provided a window of trust that everything will be fine.

While thinking of a way to excuse myself on Orientation Day, my colleagues had an unplanned day off on the 3rd of December and I took mine on the 12th.

On the 16th of December, Monday, the Dominican prior announced a day of repentance in preparation for Christmas by scheduling confession from 5-7 pm. This was the first time that they had one with the new prior installed two years ago. We had our Christmas party scheduled on that day and we finished ahead of time. I made it to confession.

I originally planned to join a pilgrimage with a Carmelite Father, and it was Fr. Arnie [of all the priests they could think of] who agreed unreluctantly with the shortest notice.

On the 20th, I was in total panic and I prayed, “Lord, You want me there, don’t You? Please make a way for me.” Soon after, a Grab car took me there and we arrived at exactly 6 pm.

The seventh was the greatest surprise because this was the grace He gifted me for the eleven-day pilgrimage. With the absence of my roommate, He gave me a quiet time for several days before we entered Jerusalem.  He allowed me to be closer to each one of the pilgrims instead of focusing on a roommate. 

And lastly, He gave me a spiritual friend to be a guide and a witness to His love throughout the journey.




Comments

  1. Hello Melissa, I’m glad to see that you are back to blogging. Looking forward to read more of the spiritual experiences and many blessings you received on this pilgrimage. Christmas in Bethlehem! That must be very special! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup little brother. I am also looking forward to share our experiences there. Patience ☺️😇

      Delete
  2. Have so missed you, Melissa! Yes, it sounds like it was definitely the Lord who extended the personal invitation to you. What a miracle! Looking forward to hearing more about this amazing Christmas experience.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha! I am so glad to see you. You have found me. I noticed you have been out of Twitter for a while. How have you been? It is great to reconnect with you.

      Yes, it was indeed a miracle that He placed everything right in front of me and although I was far from my family during Christmas time, the Lord was there for me along with my new found family, my co-pilgrims.

      Thank you and lots of love and prayers Martha!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Friends

Be

Of Cups and Dreams